Thread: The secret of AdWords is: relevance

This discussion is about "The secret of AdWords is: relevance" in the "AdWords Experts" Forum.
Nearly 5 years ago when I was quite new in advertising I took my first steps with Google AdWords and I wrote this short article. ...

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

Idee The secret of AdWords is: relevance

Nearly 5 years ago when I was quite new in advertising I took my first steps with Google AdWords and I wrote this short article. Since then a lot has happened but still the essence of this article is true.

The secret of Google AdWords is: Relevance

Google rewards you for being relevant and they let people who are searching vote for your ads. If your ad gets clicked, it’s relevant to the keyword/search that triggered it. If your ad doesn’t get clicked, it simply is not relevant. It’s that simple.

EDIT: Ok no, actually it is not that simple but in essence it is.

If you can't get 5 out of 1000 people (0.5%) to click on your ad, Google will disable it.

EDIT: I am not quite sure if this is still the case as it was 5 years ago when I wrote this article but maybe some AdWords Experts can clarify this?

And the higher your click thru rate is the less you have to pay for the position you want.
    That is a deliberate natural selection that weeds out bad advertisers and rewards good ones.

EDIT: Actually there is more to the Quality of an Ad then a good CTR which is combined into the Quality score. You can read more about the quality score here:
    ((login for URL))

You Ads and your Content must be relevant to the keywords you chose to trigger your ads.

Think about what users are looking for when they search for your keywords!
    Constantly improve your ads for better CTRs. Keywords get disabled for one and only one reason:
    The message in the ad does not match what the person was looking for when they searched for your keywords.

Two mistakes new AdWords advertisers often make:

• Most people are bidding on too few keywords, and missing the right ones
    • Most people don’t know which ads and keywords convert to sales and which ones don't.
    20-30 Keywords to start with is not nearly enough. If that's all you can think of, you'll only bid on the most expensive, most obvious ones that all your competitors thought of too. AND even more bad most of the time they'll be the WRONG keywords (in regards to performance) too. Focus your keywords more narrowly and bid on all kinds of variations people are searching for. Like "red apple" would be expensive but try "discount red apples".

Track your keywords that do convert and cut the ones which don’t convert.
    This will save you 50% of the money you spend (sometimes even more) but your sells will stay the same.

Country
    United States

Alright so I have been jumping all over the place and started checking out the Keyword tool in Adwords. I have posted an image below...many sites were suggesting using the Keyword Tool but I saw this Contextual Targeting tool and was wondering how I should use both to my advantage?

For me Contextual seemed easier to read and I really didn't understand how to read the data to understand which ones were best with the keyword tool.

I typed in several key words and phrases that I would probably use in an article.

It shows suggested Ad Group - and then Keywords...So I am assuming I should try to start using the keywords that pay the most...should I use a majority or all of the keywords and phrases listed beside each group...that is if I can fit them in and still make it look professional in the article.

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

If you write an Article with specific keywords to attract specific advertisers
    I suggest you experiment with your final article first before you set it online live.
    Create a test folder on your website and name your article like test1.html.
    Call it in your browser and wait until AdSense delivers targeted Ads.
    If these Ads are not the once you targeted for change some keywords in the text
    and name the document test2.html and call it again. Now check what AdSense is showing now.
    If you got the result you wanted then bring it online with the real title on your website.

Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing such wonderful information.

Search Cloud:

the secret of adwords

Like It?
Share It!

Follow AdSenseExperts.com on Twitter