Thread: How do you deal with ad-block?

This discussion is about "How do you deal with ad-block?" in the "Advanced AdSense Publishers" Forum.
I estimate at least a third of my users use "ad-block" software for their browsers... some have noted they specifically white-list my forum but obviously ...

Country
    United States

Frage How do you deal with ad-block?

I estimate at least a third of my users use "ad-block" software for their browsers... some have noted they specifically white-list my forum but obviously the vast majority of users who do use it never will.

Over the years I found some JavaScript code that can detect the ad-block software (so long as they don't couple it with script-blocking too.) If you visit my site as an unregistered/not-logged-in user and attempt to view a thread you will get a pop-up alert box saying ad-block has been detected and please turn it off... however I wouldn't dare do this to registered users.

Just curious how other people deal with ad-block, if it all.

Country
    Thailand

Hi, I choose to toally ignore this problem as long as ad block is not implemented by default in browsers.
    Ignoring the problem allows me not to worry a second about it.
    Now if there was an easy solution, even the javascript you have, I would without a problem use a javascript redirect to send all ad block users to a page saying they can die as far as I'm concerned. But I don't want to spend any time researching this solution yet. Even if they can also disable javascript to null this solution, I would put it nonetheless.

My particularity is that I try to focus on non technical audience, so they wouldn't have ad block activated. But I have some sites with advanced users, the ones producing the content for me, in that case I would send them to a page saying they should put my site in the ad block whitelist if they want to continue using it.
    But as I said I didn't do it, because in all honesty I don't care about this problem yet, I earn more than enough with adsense, and I don't think those using ad blocker now would be ad clicker anyway, even without ad blocker.

If ad blocker starts to be a default setting of popular browsers, then I'll have to be proactive about it!
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for? If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 200,000+ UV / Month

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

I think if someone is using ad-block software they wont click on Ads anyways so why bother?
    I have the luck to target a niche where all users are not tech savvy so 95% of them don't use Ad block software.

I spend a lot of though about this problem years ago.
    One Idea of mine was to put all Ads in a div with a background image that says that this site is free because of the Ads displayed.
    And if all users would block Ads I have to charge them for our service.
    Users without Ad-Block would see the Ads and users using an Ad-Block software would see the image.

It is much easier then using javascript and works for all users even those who disables js.

However like I said before, users who decided to block Ads are most likely not clicking on your Ads anyways so why bother?

StarBuG

Country
    United States

The DIV background images is a nifty option/solution- thanks.

Country
    United States

Hmmm... it appears Ad Block in Firefox will block this trick from working too... It won't show my DIV at all... in Chrome with ad-block it works fine though. I also tried a table instead of a DIV, same problem.

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

I would not waist my time on this.
    I use Ad-Block too and I would never deactivate it just because a website I am visiting tells me to

Another approach would be, if it would be possible to detect an Ad-Block script (which I am not sure), to completely deny access to your website as long as it is enabled.

Country
    United States

Well I ended up using a combo of your idea and what I originally had... using ad-block for firefox will actually be more annoying then nothing at all- that is all the time I'm going to invest in this.

Now there are 3 possibilities when viewing my site:

1. User doesn't use adblock, everything is displayed as normal (adsense blocks the background image).

2. User uses regular adblock - Adsense is blocked but background image shows asking user to please disable adblock.

3. User uses adblock plus for firefox- Both ad and backup image are blocked but my javascript code detects this and pops up an alert window explaining the situation.

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

Let us know if you notices any increase in Earnings or increase in Bounce rate.

Would be an interesting case study.

Search Cloud:

adblock plus adsense

how to deal with ad blockers

adsense blocked by adblock

do publishers block javascript

dfp adblock

adsense adblock plus

how to deal with add block

detect ad blocker

how to block adblock adsense

adsense ad blockers