Thread: Do you display Adsense ads to admins and moderators?

This discussion is about "Do you display Adsense ads to admins and moderators?" in the "AdSense Placements" Forum.
I was curious as to what approach you guys take in your forums or website regarding this matter? Since I am the admin of the ...

Country
    United States

Frage Do you display Adsense ads to admins and moderators?

I was curious as to what approach you guys take in your forums or website regarding this matter?

Since I am the admin of the site, I'm constantly on my forums making sure everything is running smoothly. Right now, I am displaying the same ads that are shown to registered members to admins and mods as well.

Should I turn off the Adsense ads for admins and mods since they are constantly online and viewing different pages? would that hurt any of my Adsense stats since each visit is counted as a page impression?

One main reason I like to see the ads myself is that it will allow me to control the ads. Let's say I see a ad I don't like and it's not related to my website. Then by seeing it, I can login to my Adsense account and block it.

Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to see your replies.

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

Hello Sean,

AdSense requires user interactions. This means that you earn money when people click on your ads (not counting CPM).
    There are some problems I see when showing AdSense to staff members (and yourself):
    1. For regular members and staff Ads often get annoying over time and they develop Ad Blindness
    2. Regulars and Staff will most likely not click that many Ads anyways
    3. People who feel emotionally bound to your project/website/community tend to think they will help you by clicking Ads which is a serious risk for your AdSense Account.
    I personally show Ads only to my Guests. Members, Moderators and Admins don't see Ads at all.
    My philosophy behind this is that my members are there to generate the content that I can monetize with my guests viewing this content.

This approach however only works if the majority of your traffic is visitor traffic (e.g. my visitors’ make 96% of my traffic).
    If a large portion of your traffic is from members then by all means show them Ads.
    However I would not make them as intrusive as I would make them for guests.

To your initial question, I personally would never show Ads to my Staff members who dedicate their free time to help me and work for me for free.

Country
    India

I would not show adsense ads for Admin (me).
    This is to avoid accidental clicks.

I have enough visitors to my site, so I prefer to show my ads only to guests and members.
    (Mine is not a discussion forum in strict sense)

Country
    Thailand

Same answer, I tend to generalize not showing ads to myself (blocking ads using the competitive ads filter IS NOT good practise in my opinion, the ads you see are not the ads other people see, plus the competitive ads filter is not made for that purpose and you're wasting time, you should let adsense do its job) and when it comes to registered members, I show different ad formats, less intrusive, or sometimes not at all. The most money is made from visitors sent by google, that's sad in a way to be that dependent on external traffic but for me it's always like that and it's working ok anyway. So for guests/visitors the ad formats are located so that I can get the most money out of the traffic.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for? If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 200,000+ UV / Month

Country
    United States

interesting, your replies make a lot of sense. After reading them I decided to turn off the ads for admins and mods and reduced the number of ads for registered members to 1 banner.

The forums seems to load a second or two faster as well.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Administrator
    Country
    Germany

When I removed the Ads for my members I made a "big thank you all for your continues support" thread and announced it as big gift to my members that I don't bother them with ads anymore.
    It is publicity and makes them feel special which increases the community feeling.
    And by removing all ads for my members I cut my revenue about 2% so no biggi

Country
    United States

I don't show ads to my staff but we do have a very small admin section that I do show ads. I show them to admins for the same reason you originally listed. This lets me see the ads that are being produced so I can make sure I am getting the right ads to show up by the words I use in my articles.

2ndly - I am a very visual person so I like to see my ads for strategy purposes so I can strategize on how to optimize. Maybe I need to try and change colors or a location and because I can see the ads when I am logged in - this helps me.

My admin group is so small that they don't account for that many pageviews that would mess up your CTR.

Hopefully in the future I can thank our members by disabling ads for them....for now though I gotta pay the bills...right now adsense isn't paying the bills...

Search Cloud:

ads for admins

adsense show ads to staff members

Like It?
Share It!

Follow AdSenseExperts.com on Twitter